Coconut & Honey Roll 椰丝蜜糖券
Recipe Source : Adapted from a booklet distributed by "Farmcow" butter
Ingredients for dough
500g strong flour
50g castor sugar
125g butter or margarine
250g dessicated coconut
100g castor sugar
1 egg, beaten for brushing the dough
20g honey for glazing
1 egg, beaten for glazing
1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough, except yeast. Knead until smooth and elastic.
2. Add in yeast and continue to knead for about 10 minutes.
3. Flatten dough and roll into rectangular form.
4. Brush the rectangular dough with beaten egg and distribute the dessicated coconut mixture onto the dough evenly.
5. Roll up the dough like a Swiss roll.
6. Cut into 2.5cm thick pieces and place onto large paper cups.
7. Brush each piece with beaten egg. Place tray in a warm place and let it rise until double in size.
8. Bake at 190 degree C for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Brush baked rolls lightly with honey immediately after removing from the oven.
Sharing my notes on this baking experience :
1. It was rather difficult to roll up the dough tightly with the dessicated coconut.
2. The dessicated coconut dropped all over the place when I cut them into 2.5 cm thick.
3. The original recipe mentioned about placing the cut pieces onto a greased baking tray, but I think they will get burnt. Therefore I placed them into large paper cups.
4. It was very difficult to brush beaten egg onto the cut pieces, especially on top where the dessicated coconut were distributed. I could only brush beaten eggs on the side and then slowly drip the beaten egg along the edges.
5. My coconut rolls were slightly burnt, so you may either have to place the baking trays at lower levels in the oven or you may have to adjust by reducing the temperature to 180 degree C instead of the 190 degree C.
Fresh from the oven
YS has already chosen his piece and waiting to sink his teeth into it!