Soy Milk 豆浆水
Recipe source : Adapted from Puri Selera ( booklet distributed by Lever Brothers )
This is a familiar favourite among the local people. It is rich in protein and natural goodness. This drink is easily available in restaurants and food courts around town. However, it feels good to be able to prepare this nutritious drink at home from raw soya beans. And of course the taste is so different because it is so fresh and unadulterated when it is home-made.
The taste is just fantastic !
300g soya beans - soaked overnight
3 litres water
2 pieces pandan leaves (screw-pine)
Soaked soya beans
For the syrup
150g cane rock sugar
2 pieces pandan leaves
Boil all ingredients together until it thickens and turn syrupy.
Syrup from cane rock sugar
1. Drain dry the soaked soya beans.
2. Place one quarter of the soaked soya beans into a blender and add in about 750ml of the water. Blend until fine.
3. Use a sieve to drain the resulting mixture into another large container. Then transfer the pulp onto a piece of muslin cloth and squeeze out the soy milk. Repeat the process until all soya beans and water is used up.
4. Use the muslin cloth to sieve the soy milk again.
5. Boil the soy milk with 2 pieces of pandan leaves. Keep stirring until it boils.
6. Sweeten with the syrup.
7. Can be served hot or chill.
* Important note- While boiling please use slow fire and keep stirring otherwise once it is burnt, it will carry the burnt taste.
Hot soy milk
Tastes so good!