Food For The Gods (A Filipino Date & Walnut Bar)
Recipe source : Adapted from here
I was searching for Filipino recipes when I came across this cake. I find the name, " Food for the Gods" most unusual for a cake! Having said that, I remember having eaten this before. I searched my memory and it clicked back to a party many moons ago. The hostess was very proud to serve " Food for the Gods" which she had specially ordered for the occasion. She went round ensuring that her guests tasted this cake and she loved the look of surprise on her guests' faces as she mentioned the name of this cake!
I love the walnuts and chopped dates which made this cake chewy.
This is truly sweet and decadent!
1 cup plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup dried dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Sugar, chopped walnuts and brown sugar
Chopped these and use only one cupful
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree C. I used a 9 inch square tin lined with parchment paper.
2. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a small bowl. Transfer half of this mixture to another bowl and dredge the chopped dates in it.
3. Combined melted butter, brown sugar, sugar eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Mix until batter is uniform. Add honey and mix again.
4. Fold flour into the batter. Lastly fold in chopped walnuts and the dates which have been dredged in flour.
5. Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until done.
6. Cool completely before slicing into bars.
I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest : Philippines
Hosted by Swee San of The Sweet Spot
With a name like that, I'd bet it taste amazing! :) Love that it uses dried dates- sounds really good!ReplyDelete
You'll love it if you have a sweet tooth.
This is another testimony on how Chief Dr Lucky cured my HIV disease. Do you need a cure for your HIV disease? Do you want to be cured from your cancer disease? Or you want to be free from any type of disease. Kindly visit https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/ . He just cured my HIV disease and I’m very grateful to him, he is the only herbalist that can cure you.ReplyDelete
WhatsApp number : +2348132777335
Via Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you all for reading,