Wednesday 8 January 2014

Macau Pork Chop Bun 澳门猪扒包

Macau Pork Chop Bun 澳门猪扒包


Recipe source : Adapted from  Cook4YourMan

After my last Macau trip, I started searching for the recipe. But it appears like there are not many recipes available online on Macau's famous pork chop bun except for the above link. Probably it is a closely guarded trade secret or probably the blogs on pork chop buns are written in the Chinese language.

I like pork chop buns very much. In fact, I ate several pieces during the short duration of my stay in Macau. It is no wonder that pork chop bun is among the top food attraction of Macau!

The authentic ones comes with the piece of bone attached to the pork chop. Unlike burgers, this bun does not require any garnishing or accompaniments like lettuce, tomatoes or sauces. Not even butter on the toasted bun.The piece of deep-fried pork chop wedged between a bun is all there is to it. 

Well, this helped tide over my craving for pork chop buns temporarily until my next trip to Macau or to the nearest outlet of the famous Tai Lei Loi Kei's signature Macau pork chop bun which are now operating at a few outlets in Kuala Lumpur.

Ingredients


4 pieces pork chop ( 1/2 inch thick)
2 pips garlic, chopped
2 tsp white rice wine
1 tsp soya sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 cup all purpose flour               ( I used tapioca flour )
11/4  tsp salt                               ( I used 1 tsp salt )
1 tsp olive oil                              ( I used ordinary cooking oil )
1/4 canola oil for frying              ( I used ordinary cooking oil )
4 pineapple buns                       ( I used ordinary buns )

 Fresh pork chops
 Buns from the supermarket
 Brown them in a dry wok
 Fried pork chop ready for serving

Instructions


1.  Wash and wipe dry the pork chops with kitchen towels. 
2.  Use the back of a cleaver to tap the pork chops to tenderise them.
3.  Marinate the pork chops overnight with chopped garlic, rice wine, soya sauce, Chinese five-spice powder, 1 tsp oil  and salt.
4.  Prior to frying, bring pork chops to room temperature.
5.  Place flour in shallow pan, dredging the chops with flour. Shake off excess flour.
6.  Fry in hot oil until cooked. 


To serve :

1.  Cut the buns into halves and place them into a dry saucepan to brown them slightly or you can brown them in the oven.
2.  Place a piece of fried pork chop between the cut bun.
3.  Ready to serve. 




I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest : Hong Kong + Macau - Jan & Feb 2014, hosted by Annie from Annielicious Food

3 comments:

  1. I've never tried this bun before, but it reminds me a little of "bak kwa". I shd go try at one of the Tai Lei Loi Kei outlets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do try it as it is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another testimony on how Chief Dr Lucky cured my HIV disease. Do you need a cure for your HIV disease? Do you want to be cured from your cancer disease? Or you want to be free from any type of disease. Kindly visit https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/ . He just cured my HIV disease and I’m very grateful to him, he is the only herbalist that can cure you.
    WhatsApp number : +2348132777335
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com
    Thank you all for reading,
    God bless"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...