Pan Meen - Dry Style 干捞板面
Recipe source : Doris Choo
I wanted to make "mee hoon Kuay". You know, the type of soupy pan meen where the dough is torn and pulled into odd pieces by hand. I love soupy "mee hoon kuay" with lots of vegetables and deep-fried anchovies at my favourite mee hoon kuay hawker stall at the bridge.
I started out in high spirits. I took out my pasta machine with the intention of making the dough and then using it to roll out flat sheets of dough to be torn into pieces later. Alas, halfway through gathering the ingredients, laziness got the better of me! All of a sudden I did not feel like boiling stock from scratch and I began to shudder at the thought of having to pull and tear the dough into bite-sized pieces! So I changed plan and quickly completed the process of making egg noodles and used that as my pan meen. Since I was too lazy to boil stock I decided to make pan-meen dry-style instead.
It was a unanimous thumbs up!
300g egg noodles
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
3 tbsp garlic oil
1 tsp soy sauce
Preparation Instructions for Egg Noodles
1. Place the three types of sauces and garlic oil in a large bowl or plate.
2. Par-boil the egg noodles as per the instructions in my post on egg noodles.
3. For this pan meen - dry style, you will need to rinse the egg noodles with hot boiling water again after par-boiling and rinsing with running tap water.
3. Transfer the blanched egg noodles into the large bowl of sauces and garlic oil. Mix well. Set aside.
Egg noodles mixed with sauces and garlic oil
Ingredients for Minced pork & mushroom sauce
180g minced pork
40g dried mushrooms, soaked until soft and cut into thin slices
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp cornflour
1 cup water
Preparation Instructions for the minced pork & mushroom sauce
1. Heat wok and add cooking oil.
2. Saute minced garlic until fragrant.
3. Add in sliced mushrooms and stir-fry for one minute.
4. Add in minced pork and fry until the minced meat is broken into pieces and turned whitish.
5. Add in water and all the seasoning ingredients.
6. Cook until almost dry. If you like more gravy, add in more water.
Minced pork and mushroom sauce
Optional choices :
I added stir-fried amaranth greens for a more balanced diet.
If you are interested to know more about this dish, please read up my post on Stir-Fried Amaranth Greens With Anchovies
Stir-fried amaranth green with anchovies
40g anchovies or ikan bilis
1. Wash and drain the anchovies.
2. Pat dry with paper towels
3. Deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
Now we have the egg noodles, meat sauce , stir-fried amaranth greens and deep-fried anchovies. They are all ready. All you need to do is spoon noodles into individual bowls or plates and add in the meat sauces, anchovies and vegetables of your choice.
Enjoy this very delicious pan meen-dry style !