Chinese New Year Greetings Dessert 美点贺新年
Mei dim hor sun nin
The article in the old "The Star" newspaper featured a few dishes for the Chinese New Year. This sweet dim sum dessert dish caught my eye and it has a happy sounding name in Chinese, "Mei Dim Hor Sun Nin" which means "beautiful dim sum greetings to usher in the new year". This is a wonderful dessert to wrap up the reunion dinner !
460ml hot boiling water
a few drops of red colouring
Filling For The Red Glutinous Balls
80g red bean paste or tau sar in Cantonese
Divide the red bean paste into 10 equal portions and roll them into 10 balls.
Red bean paste. The Cantonese call this tau sar
Please refer to my post on how to make red bean paste
Coating For the Red Glutinous Balls
20g chopped peanuts, roasted
20g sesame seeds, roasted
Mix them together
Coat the red glutinous balls with the chopped peanut and sesame seed mixture
Coating For the White Dough
10g chopped roasted peanuts,
10g white sesame seeds, roasted
10g black sesame seeds, roasted
Mix all the ingredients together evenly.
1. Divide the glutinous rice flour into two portions. Add a few drops of red colouring to half the amount of boiling water. Add this coloured boiling water to one portion of the glutinous rice flour and mix until a soft dough is formed.
2. Divide the red dough into 10 equal portions. Roll into round balls. Push a hole into the balls with your thumb and fill the holes with red bean paste. Place them on a greased metal plate.
3. Steam the red balls for 10 minutes and when cooked, roll the red balls with the chopped peanuts and sesame seeds mixture to coat the surfaces. Place them into the centre of a large plate.
4. Next, add the other portion of boiling water to the remaining glutinous rice flour and mix and knead well to form a soft white dough.
5. Divide the white dough into 8 equal portions and form 8 round patties. Place these patties on greased metal plate and steam for 10 minutes.
6. When cooked coat the white round patties with the chopped nuts and sesame seeds mixture. Place them around the red glutinous balls.
7. Serve immediately.
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013
hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover