Recipe source : Adapted from Her World Magazine, October 1974
The taste is a combination of sweet, sour and slightly hot. Plenty of big onion rings were added to complete the wholesome flavour. I like the sourish lime in this dish, it was very light and subtle but yet it makes the whole dish stands out with a distinguished flavour.
We enjoyed this dish with hot steaming rice for dinner. We had a very satisfying meal. Yeah, I would cook this again.
900g chicken , chopped into small pieces
4 big onions, cut into rings
7 green chillies, sliced
5 red chillies, sliced
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp lime juice
4 tbsp black soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt
Left : green chillies. Centre : limes. Right : red chillies
1. Rub chicken pieces with a little salt and sugar
2. Heat cooking oil and fry onion rings, red and green chillies for one minute over strong flame.
3. Add chicken pieces and let it cook, stirring all the time until meat changes colour.
4. Add half the amount of sauce ingredients and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Put in the remaining sauce ingredients, lower heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until chicken is tender and almost dry.
6. Dish up and serve.