Shredded Chicken Congee 鸡丝粥
Recipe source : Doris Choo of Sumptuous Flavours
The other night I was contemplating as to what to do with some leftover steamed chicken when SK suggested that we boil some congee and add in the shredded chicken pieces. Well, kai see chook or shredded chicken congee is a popular hawker fare. It has been some time since we last had kai see chook at our favourite hawker haunt.
Just thinking about it makes me salivate. So I promptly proceeded to prepare some frozen rice for boiling the congee the next day. I have been a firm believer in using this method of preparing congee ever since my first successful attempt. We like the smooth texture of congee boiled this way using frozen rice.
Ingredients ( serves 2 to 3 )
3 litres water, depends on how watery you want the congee to be
1 stalk spring onion, chopped
some chicken meat, shredded
some garlic oil
some ginger oil and ginger crisps
some shallot oil
some sesame oil
pepper to taste
salt to taste
Preparation for rice :
1. Wash the rice the night before and soak with enough water to just cover the rice.
2. Put the rice into a container and freeze the contents overnight.
Note : It is believed that the cooking time to boil the congee would be cut down and the texture of the congee would be smoother.
1. Place the frozen rice and ice together into a large pot.
2. Add in water and boil. Once it comes to a boil reduce to medium flame and continue to simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
3. Stir the contents occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot.
4. It is done when the rice grains have broken and the consistency is smooth and gluey.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Top with some shredded chicken pieces.
7. Add sesame oil, ginger oil, shallot oil and garlic oil to enhance the taste.
8. Garnish with chopped spring onion.