Lotus Seed Soup (Súp Hạt Sen)
Recipe source : Adapted from VietnameseFood
I normally used lotus seeds for sweet dessert only even though I know it can be used for savoury dishes as well. I find this recipe very interesting as it uses lotus seed to make a savoury soup of shrimp balls, tofu and sliced shitake mushrooms. It's makes a nice change from my routine and today I've learnt another new dish.
100g lotus seeds
300g fresh shrimps, removed shells
4 shitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced into thin pieces
1 fresh tofu square, cut into cubes
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
2 shallots, sliced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Lotus seeds, mushrooms and tofu
Shrimp paste. Shape this paste into balls
1. Rinse lotus seeds. Add 800ml water and boil until soft. Set aside both the lotus seeds and the liquid.
2. Use the back of a cleaver to pound the shrimps. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. Add a bit of cornflour to the shrimp paste and mix well. Set aside.
3. In a large pot, add a little oil and brown the shallots. Add in sliced mushrooms.
4. Add in the lotus seeds together with the liquid. Bring to a boil.
5. Add in tofu cubes and shrimp balls.
6. Add in cornflour solution and keep stirring. Add in the egg white.
7. Season to taste.