Sunday, 8 June 2014

Steamed Chocolate Lava Cake

Steamed Chocolate Lava Cake


Recipe source :  Miele workshop

This is a great dessert which my buddies and I learnt from chef Amy Beh who conducted a workshop for us on steaming food. The event was in conjunction with the prize presentation ceremony at the Miele Gallery. 

This steamed chocolate lava cake is moist with molten lava oozing out from the center. It was great  to eat this lava cake with vanilla ice-cream and strawberries.


Double thumbs up!!
 

Ingredients (serves 3)


85g good quality dark chocolate
45g unsalted butter
1 1/2 whole eggs
1 1/2 egg yolk
35g castor sugar
22g all-purpose flour
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence


Method


1.  Brush the ramekins or small teacups with soft butter and coat it with castor sugar.
2.  Break the chocolate into smaller pieces and combine with butter in a bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film and steam at 90 degree C for 10 minutes in the Miele steam oven.  Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler until melted. Allow to cool slightly.
3.  In a medium-sized bowl, whisk whole eggs and egg yolks with sugar until well combined.
4.  Whisk in flour and salt, followed by melted chocolate and vanilla essence.
5.  Pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove lumps.
6.  Divide batter into 3 equal portions and pour into 3 ramekins or 3 teacups.
7.  Steam in the Miele steam oven at 100 degree C for 9 minutes.
8.  When done, check that the cakes are puffed and use a toothpick to insert into the centre to see if it comes out with moist batter attached. Steam for an additional minute or two if necessary.
9.  Serve with vanilla ice-cream and fruits/nuts if desired.



 Use ramekins or teacups

  The top is slightly puffed up

 Ooooh, this is truly sweet decadence, 
 with molten chocolate lava oozing out from the centre


 Chocolate lava cake with strawberries and ice-cream.


I am linking this to Little Thumbs Up

Photobucket

The theme for June 2014 is butter 

Hosted by Spice Up My Kitchen



10 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite dessert, I have made once but unsuccessful! Yours looks so nice!
    Thanks for linking up with LTU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn,

      It is not too difficult to make. I am sure you will be able to make it successfully.

      Delete
  2. Hi. I saw your choc lava cake at LTU. I dont know we can make lava cake through steaming as most of the recipes that i read are using oven. Your's looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat,

      Thanks for dropping by. I think steaming the lava cake is easier to do than baking it.

      Delete
    2. Hi.. Your lava cake looks mouth watering. I want to try it right away. But I don't see the amount of flour used. How much was it?

      Delete
    3. Hi Linda, Thank you for highlighting this to me. The amount of all-purpose flour used is 22g. I have updated my blog. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Rina Laurence-Doyle4 November 2014 at 12:55

    I've tried to bake it today and my fiance loved it. Thanks for the recipe, Doris :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy for you at your success. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Hi I tried your recipe today and it turned out more like a custard.. Can you guess what might have gone wrong..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sahira,

      I narrow down your problem to excessive water entering your batter during the steaming process. Another thing is you must follow the steps strictly. I hope it turns out fine the next time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...