Steamed Rice Cakes With Shrimp And Pork Rinds (Bánh Bèo)
Recipe source : Vietnamesefood.com
I find it very interesting and highly exciting as I participated in the Asian Food Fest every month. Their theme for this month is Indochina. Once again I surfed the internet and read up books to widen my horizon and to learn more about the cuisines and food cultures of Indochina. As I surfed, Vietnamese food caught my attention and so I am going to try out Vietnamese food for this month.
It is a delight and it gives me great satisfaction each time I am able to cook the food successfully as guided by the recipes. Sometimes I have to make adjustment to suit my individual preference and sometimes it is because of unavailability of the specified ingredients.
It brings me joy that I have unwittingly started on a fantastic journey into the culinary realm of foreign cultures. I shall continue my exploration to gain further insights and knowledge as I find it very rewarding. It enriches my culinary experience as I absorb and feed my basic senses to enjoy the good food and good taste of other cuisines.
Ingredients for rice cakes
200g rice flour
20g wheat flour
a pinch of salt
1. Mix all the ingredients together and allow to stand for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Add in salt just before steaming. Stir to mix well.
3. Spoon batter into small bowls and steam over high heat for about 5 minutes until cooked.
4. Use a thin knife to slide around the edges of the bowl and invert them onto a serving dish.
Ingredients for filling
150g minced meat
50g shrimps, chopped
a stalk of spring onion, chopped
1 tsp fish sauce
a dash of pepper
Stir-fried chopped spring onion in hot oil
Shrimps - roughly chop this up
1. Place one tsp of oil into hot wok to stir-fry the chopped spring onion for few seconds. Dish up immediately.
2. Add 1 tbsp oil to wok and stir-fry the minced meat and chopped shrimps.
3. Season with fish sauce and pepper. Fry until cooked. Dish up and set aside.
1. Place a piece of rice cake on a plate. Top with filling of minced pork and shrimps. Add some stir-fried spring onion.
2. Spoon some Vietnamese dipping sauce over the rice cake.