Salt Fish-Flavoured Fried Chicken 咸鱼炸鸡
Recipe source : replicated from a restaurant dish
SK and I first tasted this fried chicken at a small eatery in Telok Panglima Garang which is a small town along the Klang-Banting trunk road in Selangor, Malaysia. We found this dish very special as the batter contains salt fish. In fact the aroma from frying the chicken floated around the whole restaurant when the chef fried the chicken pieces. I blogged about this outlet a few weeks ago. If you are interested to know more about that restaurant, you may read about it here.
50g salt fish
500ml oil for deep frying
3 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp tapioca flour
3 tbsp rice flour
Raw salt fish
Deep-fried salt fish
The pestle and mortar to pound the deep-fried salt fish
1. Deep-fry the salt fish till light brown.
2. Use a pestle and mortar to pound the salt fish into a fine powdery form or use a food processor to grind the salt fish.
3. Mix the ground salt fish into the batter ingredients and stir well to mix evenly to form a smooth batter.
4. Heat oil in a wok.
5. Mix the chicken pieces with the batter and deep-fry until golden brown.
6. Use kitchen towels to absorb excess oil.
7. Arrange on a plate and ready to serve.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #28: Chicken Feast (February 2013)
hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker