Steamed Pau With Red Bean Paste 豆沙包
Recipe source : Adapted from a booklet distributed by The Federal Flour Mills
Basic Dumpling (Pau) Recipe
500g pau flour
11g ( 1 tbsp ) yeast
50g corn oil
250g hot water
2 3/4 tsp double action baking powder
500g red bean paste
12 pieces of grease proof paper cut into 6 cm square
Read up on my post on how to make red bean paste
1. Mix pau flour and yeast together.
2. Dissolve sugar in the hot water.
3. Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and knead dough with hands for 10 to 15 minutes or by electric mixer until it becomes smooth and extensible.
4. Leave the dough in the bowl for about 1 hour to allow the dough to develop and rise.
5. Cover the bowl with cling film or a towel.
6. After one hour, punch down the dough and divide it into 12 equal portions.
7. Divide the red bean paste into 12 equal portions and roll them into 12 round balls.
8. Take a portion of the dough and roll into round circle.
9. Place one ball of red bean paste onto the circle of round dough and wrap it up.
10. Secure the edges and place pau onto a piece of cut grease proof paper. Place the end with secured edges facing down.
11. Place the pau into a steamer and steam for 15 minutes at high flame.
A cross section of a pau showing the red bean paste filling