Deep-Fried Kai-Lan 炸芥兰
Kai-lan cooked in two different ways, topped with X.O. sauce
Recipe source : Replicated from a restaurant.
1/2 tbsp shredded ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp X.O. sauce
Additional oil for deep-frying kai-lan
1 tsp light soya sauce 1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp corn flour
Mix the above seasoning ingredients in 1 Chinese rice bowl of water
How To Prepare the Kai-Lan
1. Clean, wash and separate the kai-lan leaves from the stem. Remove the hard parts of the stem. Cut them into sections.
2. In a pot, boil 1.5 litres of water with 1/2 tsp of lye water or kan sui. Parboil the kai-lan for 5 minutes.
3. Drain away the yellowish water and rinse the kai-lan. Set aside.
4. Cut the leaves into fine shreds.
5. Heat up oil for deep-frying. Deep-fry the kai-lan until crispy. Set them aside.
6. In a clean wok, heat 2 tbsp cooking oil.
7. Saute the ginger and minced garlic until fragrant.
8. Add in the kai-lan stems and seasoning. Cook until almost dry. Dish up on a plate.
9. Place deep-fried kai-lan leaves on top.
10. Sprinkle with X.O. sauce.
Crunchy stems and crispy leaves