Steamed Shrimps In Garlic & Fish Gravy 鱼露蒜茸蒸虾
This is a typical Teochew household dish. Simple to prepare and yet tasty with an extra zing from the fish gravy. The Teochews use a lot of fish gravy in their cooking. My late father-in-law practically splashes all his dishes with fish gravy in almost all his cooking. He did not have to weigh and measure his ingredients. Yet all the dishes turned out to be mouth-watering and delicious. How I wish I have his flair!
This is one of his dishes which I have not tasted for a long, long time. Thinking about it the other day brought on this strong craving and so I asked SK whether he can recall what his late father put into this dish.
Here is SK's replica. Tastes good!
300g shrimps ( medium-sized )
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp cooking oil
some spring onion for garnishing ( optional )
Fish sauce or fish gravy
1. Trim the shrimps. Remove the antennae and the rostrum (the pointed jagged sword-like thing on the head). Wash and drain well.
2. Arrange shrimps on a plate.
3. Sprinkle with crushed garlic. Pour the fish sauce and oil over the shrimps.
4. Steam over high heat for 5 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with chopped spring onion.
6. Ready to serve.