Sunday 20 April 2014

Kuih Bingka Ubi (Cassava Cake ) 木薯糕

Kuih Bingka Ubi (Cassava Cake) 木薯糕


Recipe source :  Adapted from here

I love to eat this baked cassava cake which I often buy from Malay stalls selling an assortment of kuih-muih. The vendors usually displayed a wide array of choices which at times I find it hard to make a choice as to which kuih or cake I wish to eat!

Now making this kuih at home is another story. Grating the tapioca is no joke. It is a lot of hard work. But it is well worth the effort as the end result yielded a very fragrant and tasty cassava cake.

I made this for a family gathering and everyone likes it. As I was baking this for the first time, I only made a small loaf.  I have to take note to increase the amount the next time.

 

Ingredients


700g grated tapioca (cassava )
450ml coconut milk
50g grated coconut
70g palm sugar ( gula Melaka)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 pieces pandan leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter

Tapioca or cassava

Method


1.  In a pot, mix coconut milk, palm sugar, granulated sugar, salt and pandan leaves. Heat over low heat until palm sugar and granulated sugar melted. Add butter. Stir to mix well. Discard the pandan leaves.
2.  Add grated coconut and grated tapioca.
3. Stir over low heat until slightly thicken. keep stirring to prevent burning at the bottom of pot.
4.  Line a loaf pan with aluminium foil. 
5.  Pour thicken tapioca mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
6.  Bake at preheated oven at 180 degree C for about 1 1/2 hours or until firm. 
7.  The top should be browned. 






6 comments:

  1. Very interesting ingerdients. Most of them I have never used. Looks very nice and would be great to taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassava cake is popular in South-East Asia.

      Delete
  2. So hardworking of you to grate all that tapioca. The other day I ws grating 200g chocolate and my hands felt like it was gonna fall off by the end. LOL! It must be worth it after enjoying this delicious kuih.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time all the grating will be done by the man of the house.

      Delete
  3. I love tapioca cake.... but its so much work! Wish I could eat some of your kueh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...