Bamboo Dumpling 竹叶粿
Ingredients for the dough
30g wheat starch
200g glutinous rice flour
200g rice flour
2 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
50 ml boiling water
250 ml water
65ml cooking oil
Ingredients for filling
450g radish ( shredded )
150g minced pork
3 shitake mushrooms ( diced )
30g dried scallops ( soaked and shredded )
20g black fungus ( soaked and shredded )
2 shallots ( chopped )
2 tbsp cooking oil
200 ml water
24 pieces bamboo leaves ( cut into oval shape )
1 tbsp castor sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp pepper
Top left : shredded dried scallops. Top right : diced mushrooms
Bottom : shredded black fungus
Instructions to cook the filling
1. Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil until hot. Saute the chopped shallots.
2. Add in the diced mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add in the minced pork and shredded black fungus. Mix everything evenly.
3. Toss in the shredded radish and dried scallops. Mix well.
4. Add in seasoning and water and cook until the radish are tender and quite dry.
5. Dish up and leave to cool.
Instructions to make the dumpling
1. Mix wheat starch with boiling water. Mix well to form a dough.
2. Add in glutinous rice flour, rice flour, sugar, water and cooking oil. Knead well to form a smooth dough.
3. Cover with a wet cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
4. Divide equally into small balls. Cover with wet cloth.
5. Flatten the balls and spoon in filling. Wrap it up and seal the edges.
6. Brush the bamboo leaves with oil.
7. Wrap the filled-up dough with a piece of bamboo leave and secure the edges with toothpick.
8. Repeat the process for the remaining dough and filling.
9. Place them in a steamer and steam for about 8 to 10 minutes.