Mutton & Egg Pie 羊肉馅饼
Recipe source : Easy Baking by Farmcows Butter
My son YS, kept reminding me to make this mutton and egg pie every time he opens this booklet. He loves mutton and lamb. I have been procrastinating. Well, pastry-making isn't my forte. Nevertheless, due to his insistence, I finally ventured to try out this recipe.
The pie was tasty but it was not picture-perfect !
Anyway, this pie was baked upon YS's insistence and he happily chomped down the pie with relish. That gesture is an indication that he liked the pie, which is a big comfort to me since I was not very happy with the outcome of how the pie looked!
Ingredients For Short Crust Pastry
60g castor sugar
250g plain flour
1. Cream butter and sugar until light.
2. Add in egg and flour to form dough.
3. Roll-out two-thirds of the pastry dough to line a loaf pan.
4. Keep the remainder one-third of the dough to make a lid for the pie.
Ingredients For Filling
500g mutton, chopped
1 potato, boiled and mashed
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup button mushrooms
3 hard-boiled eggs
20g chopped parsley
2 bay leaves
1 tsp all spice powder
3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper
All the ingredients used for the filling. In the centre is the chopped mutton.
Clockwise from the top : chopped parsley, chopped onions, sliced button mushrooms, mashed potato, hard-boiled eggs with shells removed.
1. Mix together all the filling ingredients, season with salt and black pepper.
2. Place about half of the filling into the loaf pan which has been lined with short crust pastry.
3. Arrange the hard-boiled eggs in the the filling and top up the loaf pan with the remaining filling.
4. Roll out the remainder pastry dough to make a lid and place the lid over the loaf pan.
5. Dampen the pastry edges and pinch the joints together to seal the edges.
6. make small holes to allow steam to escape during baking.
7. Brush the pie with beaten egg.
8. Bake for 30 minutes at 200 degree C.
9. Then reduce to 180 degree C and place a piece of aluminium foil over the loaf pan and continue to bake for a further 45 minutes.
10. Leave the pie to cool in the pan for 1 hour before turning it out and leave to cool completely before cutting.
I am linking this post to Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out
This event is linked to Little Thumbs Up
The ingredient for the month of August is egg