Mini Lemon-syrup Sponges
Recipe source : Nigella Lawson
When I saw the mini lime-syrup sponges from Joyce, I had it bookmarked immediately. They looked so cute and delicious.
I have some lemons sitting in my refrigerator and I immediately thought about those lovely mini loaves which Joyce had baked using Nigella's "How To Be A Domestic Goddess".
I substituted lemons for limes. The amount yielded nine lovely pieces of mini sponges.
These mini lemon-syrup sponges were awesome! Super delicious!
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
zest of half a lemon
1 cup + 2 tbsp self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
4 tbsp milk
4 tbsp lemon juice
zest for decoration
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
Instruction for making the lemon-syrup
1. Place the lemon juice and confectioner's sugar into a small saucepan.
2. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
Instruction for making the mini sponges
1. Preheat oven to170 degree C.
2. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and lemon zest, beating well.
3. Add self-raising flour, salt then milk. Beat well.
4. Spoon into muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes.
5. As soon as the mini sponges are baked, take them out from the oven and prick with a bamboo skewer all over.
6. Spoon syrup all over the mini sponges. Set aside to let the syrup be absorbed.
7. Remove the mini sponges while slightly warm otherwise it is difficult to remove them when they are totally cooled.
8. Decorate with lemon zest on top of the mini sponges.
Spoon lemon syrup over the mini sponges immediately upon removing from the oven
Yummy! These are super delicious!