Apple Fritters ( Ree Drummond )
Recipe source : The Pioneer Woman Cooks
I was browsing through Ree Drummond's extensive recipes when I saw this apple fritters using green apples. I read through her easy to follow step-by-step photo shots and it seemed easy to make. I have a few green apples sitting in my fridge and all the essential ingredients to give it a try without having to expend any extra effort to source for ingredients. To borrow Ree's phrase, I have the full "cast of characters" all lined up.
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp sugar ( I did not add this to the dough )
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 big eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter
2 green apples, peel and dice
oil for deep frying
Note : I have omitted the glaze. Instead, I used 3 tbsp powdered sugar to dust the fritters after frying.
The apple fritters were just as good without the powdered sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add milk, melted butter
3. Fold dry and wet ingredients together until just combined (do not over mix.)
4. Fold in apples.
5. Heat oil over medium to medium-low heat.
6. When it gets hot, drop teaspoons of batter into the hot oil.
7. Cook them long enough to make sure the batter is cooked through or has turned brown.
8. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
9. Dust very generously with powdered sugar.
For a more detailed step-by-step instructions, follow Ree's link above.
See the pieces of apple in the fritter ?