Mini Corn Loaves With Cranberries & Pecans (Ree Drummond)
Recipe source : The Pioneer Woman
I made a batch of these super tasty muffins and brought some to the office the next day. During morning tea break, I put them in the microwave oven to warm up and they were snapped up in no time! In fact there were not enough to go round. Luckily the rectangular paper cases were long and my colleagues shared the muffins among themselves. I was so happy when the ladies immediately asked for the recipe!
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 whole egg
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 stick softened butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Extra maple syrup and melted butter, for brushing
( I did not make this maple butter as the muffins were good enough brushed with melted butter and maple syrup)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Combine corn meal, flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, egg, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
4. Add melted shortening, stirring constantly.
5. Add vanilla extract, then stir in dried cranberries and pecans.
6. Spoon with rectangular cups.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or so, or until golden brown.
8. Cool for a few minutes after removing from the oven.
9. Mix together a little melted butter and maple syrup, then brush it over the tops of the loaves.
To make the maple butter
1. Combine the softened butter and maple syrup.
2. Stir until totally combined, then spread into a ramekin, drizzle the top with maple syrup, and serve with the warm muffins. (Butter can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge)