Chicken Curry 咖哩鸡
Hot and spicy chicken curry
1 small tub minced chilli,
3 tbsp curry powder
3 stalks lemon grass
200 ml thick santan, or coconut milk (as a substitute for coconut milk you can use evaporated milk instead)
500g potatoes, remove skin and cut into wedges
2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 litre water
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 bowl of cooking oil for deep frying the potatoes
Left: garlic, Right:shallot
Top: Minced chilli, Left:Lemon grass, Right: Curry powder
2. Use a food processor to blend / mince the garlic and shallots together. Alternatively, you can chop them up.
3. Heat a wok. Add in the 1/2 cup of cooking oil.
4. Saute the lemon grass, minced shallots and garlic until fragrant, add in the minced chilli and curry powder and mix them up well.
5. Reduce the flame to low and add in 3 tbsp of santan. Stir-fry until oil oozes out from the mixture
6. Increase the flame to high and add in the chicken pieces. Stir-fry briskly to coat and mix the paste and the chicken pieces evenly. Keep stir-frying briskly for about 5 minutes. Do not allow the chicken and paste to burn
7. Add in 1 litre of water and the remaining santan.
8. Add in the deep-fried potatoes.
9. Allow to cook over medium flame for about 20 to 25 minutes
10. Stir the contents every now and then to prevent the chicken or potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the wok.
Note : You can add in more water if you prefer curry with plenty of gravy