Steamed Pumpkin Pudding 南瓜糕 ( 金瓜糕 )
Steaming hot and delicious
300g pumpkin ( net weight )
40g dried shrimps, soaked and roughly chopped
4 dried mushrooms, soaked until soft and cut into thin slices
250g rice flour
4 small shallots, remove skin and thinly sliced
600 ml water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 chili padi (remove the seeds and chop it up)
1 stalk spring onion, use the green parts only (chopped)
Shallot crisps ( see instructions below )
Instructions1. Remove the skin, seeds and pulp of the pumpkin. Use a grater to grate the pumpkin into fine shreds
2. In a large bowl, mix the rice flour, water, salt, sugar and pepper together. Mix well
3. Heat a wok until hot, add in the cooking oil. Fry the sliced shallots for about three minutes until golden brown. Remove half of the shallot crisps and set aside to be used as garnishing.
4. Leave the oil and half of the shallot crisps in the wok, add in the sliced mushrooms and stir-fry for a minute or two.
5. Add in the dried shrimps and fry for another minute
6. Add in the shredded pumpkin and stir-fry until the pumpkin is softened
7. Add in the rice flour mixture and mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
8. Keep stirring continuously to prevent the bottom from getting burnt. As it cooks the flour mixture will thicken to form a dough-like mixture
9. Cook and stir until the mixture becomes like dough.
10. Switch off the flame and transfer the mixture into a square cake tin ( 21 cm x 21 cm )
11. Use the back of a spoon to smoothen the surface of the mixture.
12. Place the cake tin with the mixture in it and steam over boiling water for 40 minutes on high heat. Sprinkle the garnishing on the pumpkin pudding and steam for a further 5 minutes.
13. Switch off the flame and remove the cake tin from the steamer.
14. Let it cool completely before cutting into smaller pieces.
Sure looks scrumptious