Double-Boiled Snow Fungus Dessert 雪耳炖冰糖
A sweet dessert
Recipe Source : Replicating what I had eaten in a shopping mall in Zhuhai, China
I had this sweet dessert in Zhuhai, China a couple of weeks back. The ingredients used are simple and easily available in grocery stores or supermarkets. Brewed together with cane sugar or rock sugar, the end result is sweet and very satisfying. I am back home now and I have a strong craving to have this dessert and I decided to prepare it.
10g snow fungus ( soaked until soft, remove the stem and cut them into smaller pieces )
90g cane rock sugar ( adjust the amount of sugar to suit individual taste )
6 red dates, remove the seeds
100g fresh lotus seeds
18 gingko nuts ( remove the shell and soft skin or you can use fresh gingko nuts available at the wet markets )
600 ml water
Top left : fresh lotus seeds, Top right : gingko nuts
Bottom left : snow fungus. Middle : cane rock sugar. Right : red dates
1. Divide the above ingredients into 3 equal portions.
2. Place each portion into an individual ceramic container. You will need 3 small ceramic containers. Alternatively, you can put everything into a large ceramic container used for double- boiling. You can read up on my previous post on the ceramic pot used and how to go about double-boiling.
3. Cover the 3 ceramic containers and place them into a larger aluminium or stainless steel pot. Fill up the larger pot with water to half the water level of the ceramic containers.
4. Switch on the flame and double-boil the contents for one hour.
5. Check on the water level in the larger pot to avoid drying up during the boiling process. Add hot boiling water if the water dries up.
Very satisfying dessert after a meal