Stewed Assorted Mushrooms 三菇迎新年
Recipe Source : adapted from Chopsticks Recipes
The Chinese New Year Reunion dinner table has traditionally being abundantly laden with more meat and fish dishes than vegetables. For many families, no cost is spared to prepare only the best for the reunion dinner. However, too much meat means too much cholesterol which is something not very healthy. We therefore need to balance our food intake.
Here is a very tasty and healthy vegetable dish for the reunion dinner to welcome the year of the snake !
50g dried shitake mushroom
200g canned straw mushroom
200g canned button mushroom
300g baby bok choy ( nai pak in Cantonese- 奶白菜)
1 shallot , thinly sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
carrot slices for garnishing
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
a dash of pepper
Dissolve all the above seasoning ingredients in 1 Chinese rice bowl of chicken stock.
Cornflour Solution1 tsp cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp of water
Top : baby bok choy
Bottom left : shitake mushrooms. Centre : straw mushrooms. Right : button mushrooms
How To Marinate Mushroom
1. Soak shitake mushroom for 2 hours until soft. Remove the stems.
2. Wash and squeeze dry. Repeat the process.
3. Marinate with 1 tsp shao hsing wine, 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp soy sauce.
How To Prepare The Baby Bok Choy
1. In a pot, bring 1 litre of water to the boil.
2. Add in 1 tsp of lye water or kan-sui in Cantonese.
3. Let the baby bok choy boil for 1 minute.
4. Drain away the water. Rinse under running tap to remove traces of lye
5. In a pot, bring another litre of water to the boil.
6. Add 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tsp sugar.
7. Add the baby bok choy and stir for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside.
2. Add in the shitake mushrooms, straw mushrooms and button mushrooms and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the seasoning ingredients and bring to the boil.
4. Add the cornflour solution and stir for another minute.
5. Add baby bok choy and mix well.
6. Dish up and serve in a plate with carrot slices arranged in a circle.
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013
hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover