Fish Paste Mushrooms With Green Peas
20 mushrooms (Use Hubei 湖 北 mushrooms as they are more fragrant and crunchy)
fish paste - instructions on how to make fish paste. Click here
20 green peas ( use canned peas )
2 tbsp of cooking oil
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tsp of abalone sauce
1 tsp of oyster sauce
2 tsp of Shao Hsing wine
2 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
Dissolve the sauce ingredients in 1 Chinese rice bowl of water
1 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp of water
Mix the cornflour and water together in a bowl
1. Soak mushrooms for 2 hours until soft. Remove the stems. Squeeze out the water. Rinse once more in water and squeeze dry. Mushrooms that still remain hard after soaking for 2 hours are to be discarded.
2. Wet the fingers on both hands, take a dollop of the fish paste and place it on the underside of the mushrooms. Gently push it down and using your thumb to press the fish paste evenly to cover the whole of the underside.
3. Take a green pea and press it into the middle of the fish paste
1. In a wok, heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Saute the minced garlic till light brown and fragrant.
2. Add in the sauce ingredients and another half bowl of water. Let it boil
3. Gingerly place the mushrooms one by one into the boiling liquid, making sure the sides with the green peas face upward.
4. Make sure there is enough water to nearly cover the mushrooms
5. Cover the wok with a lid and cook for 5 minutes
6. Add in the cornflour solution and let simmer for another minute
7. Switch off the flame.