Crab Siew Mai 蟹肉烧卖
Looks delicious even when raw!
30 to 40 pieces of won ton skin
1 tbsp cooking oil for oiling the base of a steaming plate
Ingredients For Siew Mai Filling
350g minced pork and fat
100g bamboo shoot (diced )
20g spring onion (chopped )
1 medium-size crab ( boil to cook and remove all the flesh )
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp Shao Hsing wine
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
A dash of pepper
1 tsp oyster sauce
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly together.
Note : It's optional to leave some of the crab meat to top up the siew mai as garnishing
Instruction To Wrap The Siew Mai
1. Place one tsp of the siew mai filling onto a piece of won ton skin
2. Gather the edges together to form a firm cylindrical shape. Ensure the bottom of the siew mai is flat to enable it to stand on its own
3. Level the top with the back of a spoon after dipping in water
4. Place the wrapped siew mai on an oiled steaming plate
5. Repeat the process until all the filling and won ton skins have been used up
6. Place the wrapped siew mai at least 1 cm apart to avoid them sticking together.
Steaming the Siew Mai
1. Heat up the water in a steamer and bring it to a boil
2. Place the whole plate of siew mai into the steamer
3. Steam at high heat for 10 minutes
Note : You can refer to my previous post on The Technique of Steaming Food, read here
Looks even more delicious when cooked!