Stir-Fried Bitter Gourd With Pork Slices 苦瓜炒猪肉
500g bitter gourd ( thinly sliced )
200g pork ( thinly sliced )
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp shao hsing wine
Add wine to pork and mix well. Then add cornflour and mix thoroughly. Set aside for 15 minutes.
Marinated pork slices
Preparing The Bitter Gourd
2. Add 1 tsp of lye water ( Kan sooi in Cantonese )
3. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Discard the water and rinse the bitter gourd under a running tap.
5. Drain and set aside.
N.B.- Always choose light green or ripening ones with shallow grooves over dark green ones with deep grooves.
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
Dissolve in one and a half Chinese rice bowls of water
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok till hot.
2. Reduce to medium fire, then add minced garlic and stir-fry till fragrant.
3. Add in the 1 1/2 bowls of dissolved ingredients and bring to the boil.
4. Add pork and stir and let cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add bitter gourd and cook for another two minutes.
6. Dish up and serve.