Bitter Gourd And Egg Soup 苦瓜煎蛋汤
Recipe Source : Cookbook - Traditional Chaozhou Dishes
This is a Teochew or Chaozhou dish. SK's late father used to cook this soup. It has been many years since I last have this delicious soup cooked by SK's family who are of Teochew descent. I was very happy when I came across this cookbook called "Traditional Chaozhou Dishes" which I purchased promptly.
There are many more delicious dishes inside this cookbook, some of which look very familiar because SK's late father used to cook them. I regret that I did not learn and did not record down my father-in-law's recipes during my younger days. Back then I was only keen to eat and enjoy the good food!
300g bitter gourd (thinly sliced)
100g minced meat
4 eggs (whisked)
2 cups stock
2 Chinese rice bowl of water
Marinade For Minced Pork
2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Bitter gourd slices, eggs and marinated minced pork
Mix the minced pork and bitter gourd slices into the whisked egg
1. Add marinade to the minced pork and mix well. Set aside
2. Cut bitter gourd into thin slices.
3. Put the marinated minced pork and bitter gourd slices into the bowl of whisked eggs.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of oil until hot. Pour half of the egg mixture into the wok to make an omelette. Flip over and fry the other side. Once both sides are golden brown, dish up.
5. Repeat the process with the other half of the egg mixture to make another omelette.
6. Pour the stock and 2 Chinese rice bowl of water into a pot and bring to the boil.
7. Add in the egg omelette and let boil for 5 minutes.
8. Add in the seasoning.
9. Dish up and serve hot.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #29: Heirloom and Local Dialect Recipes ( March 2013 ) hosted by FHL of Faith Hope Love