Roast Pork 烧肉
This is absolutely delicious !.
Contrary to popular belief, roast pork is actually quite easy to make. I often make roast pork but I tend to forget to note down the weights and measurements because I have this habit of using my own judgement to add ingredients as I cook thus I have not been able to share my effort on making roast pork until now. I hope you like it.
1.5 kg pork belly
3 tbsp salt - for rubbing on skin of pork belly
Marinade for the Pork
2 tsp five-spice powder
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp shao hsing wine
1 piece Shanghai nam yee ( red bean curd )
1. Clean and wipe dry the piece of pork belly. Score the meat in a criss-cross manner.
2. Rub the marinade ingredients on the meat side of the pork belly.
3. Place on a large tray, with the meat side facing down
4. Rub the skin of the pork belly with the 3 tbsp of salt. Make sure you rub the salt over the entire skin
5. Place the whole tray into the refrigerator overnight, making sure that the skin side is facing upwards
6. Next day, set the oven at 180 degree Celsius
7. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil. Then place a rack over the baking tray which has been lined with aluminium foil.
8. Place the marinated pork belly on the prepared tray, with the skin side facing up
9.. Roast the pork belly for 20 minutes
10. After 20 minutes, take out the tray. Using a sharp skewer or a fork , prick holes all over the skin
11. Turn over the pork belly with the meat side facing upwards
12. Return the pork belly into the oven and increase the temperature to 220 degree Celsius
14. Turn over the pork belly with the skin side upwards
15. Grill for another 20 minutes to crisp the skin at 250 degree Celsius
This is high cholesterol stuff but once in a while we need to indulge.