Fish Paste Strips Fried In Ginger & Spring Onions
A perfect combination of spring onions, ginger and fish paste strips !
How to make fish paste strips :
Fish paste strips is made from fish paste. You need to have a better understanding on how to make fish paste before attempting to make fish paste strips. For making the fish paste, you can read here
1. You will need a chopping board and a cleaver with a broad blade.
2. Use a dollop of the fish paste and put it on the chopping board
1. Use your right hand to hold the cleaver, while placing your left hand on the upper side of the broad blade of the cleaver as shown.
2. Press down hard on the dollop of fish paste to spread it across the chopping board as shown on the next picture below
1. The fish paste has been spread across the chopping board by using the blade of the cleaver. Then scrape up the fish paste to repeat the process about three times to get the desired result.
2. Use the sharp edge to scrape up the fish paste starting from right to left
1. The scraped up fish paste has formed into a strip with a wavy pattern
2. Wet your left forefinger and use it to loosen the fish paste strip and let it drop into a bowl of hot water. This is to harden the fish paste strip.
1. All the fish paste strips in a large bowl of hot water.
2. Do not use your hands to handle them, otherwise the wavy patterns will lose its form and furthermore at this point, they break easily.
3. Use a colander to drain, reuse the water to dissolve the sauce ingredients later.
4. Handle them with care. Fragile!
350g of fish paste strips ( it's called Herr Chek in Teochew )
60g of spring onions (sectioned)
10g of minced garlic
1 inch of ginger, thinly sliced
2 tbsp of cooking oil
1 tsp of abalone sauce
1 tsp of oyster sauce
2 tsp of Shao Hsing wine
A dash of pepper
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
Dissolve the sauce ingredients in 1 Chinese rice bowl of water. Use water from the bowl where the fish paste strips was dropped into.
1 tsp of cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp of water
1. Saute the minced garlic and ginger slices till light brown and fragrant
2. Add in the sauce ingredients and another half bowl of water. Let it boil
3. Add in the fish strips and let it cook for 3 minutes
4. Add in the spring onions and stir.
5. Then add in the cornflour solution and cook for another minute
The bouncy fish paste strips ready to be savoured.