Fried Vermicelli With Stewed Pork Slices 扣肉米粉
The Cantonese call this 'Kow Yoke Mai Fun'
A few years back, fried vermicelli with stewed pork slices seemed to be the rage in town. To savour this fried vermicelli in a restaurant is costly and anyway, the restaurant used canned stew pork which can be easily bought from any grocery store. We tried recreating this at home and we successfully replicated it. Our creation at home tasted just as great. Try it out today and see for yourself.
200g vermicelli ( bee hoon )
200g choy sum
1 tbsp of minced garlic
2 tbsp of cooking oil
2 tbsp of abalone sauce
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of dark soya sauce
1 tsp of salt, or to taste
2 tsp of sugar
Mix the above sauce ingredients with 1 Chinese rice bowl of water
Preparatory Instructions :
1. Trim away the old and yellow leaves of the choy sum.
2. In a pot, bring 1 1/2 litres of water to boil.
3. Add in 1/2 tsp of lye water or kan sui in Cantonese
4. Add in the choy sum and let it blanch for one minute
5. The boiling water will turn yellow. Drain away the yellow water and rinse the choy sum with fresh water.
6. Set aside
Canned stewed pork slices
1. Open the can, take out half of the stewed pork slices and half of the liquid from the can
2. Place the slices and liquid into a bowl
3. Keep the balance for future use
4. Remove as much of the oil as possible while retaining the brown liquid
Vermicelli ( bee hoon)
1. Soak the bee hoon in water for 5 minutes
2. By now it would have softened
3.. Drain away the water and set the vermicelli aside
1. In a wok, heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil till hot
2. Add in 1 tbsp of minced garlic and saute until light brown and fragrant
3. Add in the sauce ingredients and another additional 1/2 Chinese rice bowl of water
4. Let it boil and add choy sum and stir for one minute. Dish up and set aside
5. Add in the vermicelli and use a pair of bamboo chopsticks to stir until the liquid has evaporated and by now some of the vermicelli began sticking to the wok and when the vermicelli looks dry
6. Add in the stewed pork slices and the brown liquid into the vermicelli and stir for one minute
7. Dish up the vermicelli and the pork slices put into a big plate
8. Add in the choy sum
Delicious fried vermicelli (bee hoon) with stewed pork slices