Fried Vermicelli (beehoon)
A plate of great tasting fried vermicelli or beehoon
SK's fried vermicelli or beehoon is well known within the extended family circle. Whenever there is a small family gathering, this fried beehoon is always the choice by popular demand. The young and the old alike will be asking for this fried vermicelli even though there may be other great dishes on the table. It has become a tradition of sorts to have this fried vermicelli to be synonymous to family gatherings.
200g vermicelli (beehoon)
200g choy sum
120g prawns (shelled and with veins removed)
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp abalone sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
Dissolve all the above sauce ingredients in one Chinese rice bowl of water
Choy Sum :
1. Clean the choy sum and trim away the old and yellow leaves
2. In a pot, bring 1 1/2 litres of water to a boil
3. Add 1/2 tsp lye water (kan-sui) into the boiling water
4. Add in the choy sum and boil for 1 minute.
5. The water will turn yellow. Drain away the yellow water.
6. Use water to rinse the par-boiled choy sum.
7. Drain dry and set the choy sum aside
Vermicelli (beehoon) :
1. Soak vermicelli in cold water for 5 minutes. By now it would have softened. Drain away the water and set aside.
1. Remove the shells from the prawns
2. Remove the veins and wash
3. Drain and set aside.
1. In a wok, heat 2 tbsp cooking oil until hot
2. Add in the minced garlic and saute until light brown and fragrant
3. Add in the sauce ingredients and another half a bowl of water
4. Let it boil
5. Add in the par-boiled choy sum and stir for 1 minute. Dish up the choy sum and set aside
6. Add the prawns into the boiling sauce and let it cook for 2 minutes
7. Add in the pre-soaked vermicelli.
8. Use a pair of long bamboo chopsticks to stir the vermicelli until much of the liquid has evaporated
9. By now some strands of vermicelli would be sticking to the surface of the wok and the vermicelli looks dry
10. Dish up the vermicelli and prawns onto a large plate
11. Add in the choy sum